What Is Low Self Esteem? | Symptoms Of Low Self Esteem
Self-esteem is the way we see and think about ourselves, and the extent to which we value ourselves as a person.
Building your self-esteem is an important life skill that requires ongoing effort.
What Is Low Self-Esteem?
Have you ever felt worthless, disappointed in yourself or felt like a failure?
If you constantly think negatively about yourself, then you might be struggling with low self-esteem. Low self-esteem is characterized by two main components viewing yourself in a negative way, focusing only on your negative attributes, and low self-worth.
Low self-esteem can have a negative effect on several aspects of your daily life, such as work, relationships, and personal hygiene. Low self-esteem can manifest as part of a current problem, such as clinical depression.
It can also be the consequence of other problems, such as a marital divorce, or challenging work relationship. Low self-esteem can also be a risk factor for developing other mental health issues, such as body image distress, eating disorders, or social phobias.
Symptoms Of Low Self-Esteem
Here are some common symptoms that might point to low self-esteem or low self-worth:
- Do you constantly feel worthless, or that you are not good enough at anything you are doing?
- Do you often blame yourself when things go wrong?
- Do you feel like you hate or dislike yourself?
- Do you neglect your self-care because you think you don’t deserve to be looked after?
- Are you only focusing on the negative aspects of yourself?
- Do you rarely acknowledge the positive things you achieve?
- Do you have low self-confidence?
At EmotionMatters our expert team of counsellors and psychotherapists can help you build confidence and self-esteem. We will help you identify any unhelpful patterns that might be maintaining your low self-worth, and help you create new ways to feel confident.
Self-esteem counselling will help you make sense of who you are, and help you integrate new healthier ways of thinking about yourself.
Building Confidence Treatment
Learn more about Building Confidence
Here are some articles and blogs about building confidence