What Is Low Self Esteem? | Symptoms Of Low Self Esteem
Self-esteem is the way we see and think about ourselves, and the extent to which we value ourselves as a person.
Building your self-esteem is an important life skill that requires ongoing effort.
What Is Low Self-Esteem?
Have you ever felt worthless, disappointed in yourself or felt like a failure?
If you constantly think negatively about yourself, then you might be struggling with low self-esteem. Low self-esteem is characterized by two main components viewing yourself in a negative way, focusing only on your negative attributes, and low self-worth.
Low self-esteem can have a negative effect on several aspects of your daily life, such as work, relationships, and personal hygiene. Low self-esteem can manifest as part of a current problem, such as clinical depression.
It can also be the consequence of other problems, such as a marital divorce, or challenging work relationship. Low self-esteem can also be a risk factor for developing other mental health issues, such as body image distress, eating disorders, or social phobias.
Symptoms Of Low Self-Esteem
Here are some common symptoms that might point to low self-esteem or low self-worth:
- Do you constantly feel worthless, or that you are not good enough at anything you are doing?
- Do you often blame yourself when things go wrong?
- Do you feel like you hate or dislike yourself?
- Do you neglect your self-care because you think you don’t deserve to be looked after?
- Are you only focusing on the negative aspects of yourself?
- Do you rarely acknowledge the positive things you achieve?
- Do you have low self-confidence?
At EmotionMatters our expert team of counsellors and psychotherapists can help you build confidence and self-esteem. We will help you identify any unhelpful patterns that might be maintaining your low self-worth, and help you create new ways to feel confident.
Self-esteem counselling will help you make sense of who you are, and help you integrate new healthier ways of thinking about yourself.
Online Therapy & Counselling
Learn more about Building Confidence
Here are some articles and blogs about building confidence